Monday, September 27, 2010

Judge Amber: Matthew 7:1-5

Do you have one of those people in your life that you just cringe when they start to pen their mouth or cringe when they make a post on Facebook because you know what's coming?  Judgment.  There is a person in my life right now that is like that.  Most things that come out of her mouth are judgmental and critical.  Though everyone can be this way sometimes (and I am the first to admit that I am this way a lot!), it's more often with this person than normal.  She is a Christian and I believe it with my whole heart and do not question that at all, but her judgment of others causes others to believe that Christians are as equally judgmental.

There are some things that she says that make me fume with anger. I almost quit checking my FB because of her!  It was silly! I was starting to feel that having this person in my life was doing more harm to me than good (and she was) and that I had pretty much decided to completely write this person off and decide to not have anything else to do with her...until God reminded me that it's not all about me and my feelings...it's all about His glory.

So, I sat down today and made a list of things I wanted to pray for for this person and I am committing myself to pray for this person...and things to pray for myself...
  • God to open her heart to see her judgmental thinking and how it is contradictory to what she is trying to accomplish
1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Matthew 7:1-5 NIV

13For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
James 2:13 ESV

17A man who is kind benefits himself, but a cruel man hurts himself. Proverbs 11:17 ESV

  • God will show her that her thinking, attitudes, and comments are doing more harm than good for the Kingdom by only leading to strife and not to peace
18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18 NIV

19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Romans 14:19 NIV

26Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:26 ESV

32 The lips of the godly speak helpful words, but the mouth of the wicked speaks perverse words. Proverbs 10:32 NLT

  • God will continue to grow her in her faith and in maturity
20Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature.
1 Corinthians 14:20 ESV

  • God will continue to grow her into the godly woman that she desires to be
26She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
Proverbs 31:26 ESV

Prayers for Myself
Galatians 6:1-2 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
 
So, if you are reading this (then you are probably one of maybe 3 people) and thinking that it's you, then it probably is!  Haha! Just kidding!  Seriously, I will never tell anyone the name of this person.  I am not posting this hoping she will read it (in fact, I kinda hope she doesn't!).  I am only posting this as part of my desire to document my spiritual growth...and maybe offer some suggestions on how to pray for someone like this.  And if you have any suggestions to add, please comment below.

1 comment:

  1. So if this is me...which I know I am guilty at times...I am holding you accountable to TELL ME...because a friend sharpens a friend....and does not let them walk around with ink on their face.....(=

    ReplyDelete